Sunday, February 26, 2012

Official Open WOD 12.1

Bucking Furpees.

So today was the official judgement. I came in, ran around the building once and did some drills to warm up.  The atmosphere was excited- lots of athletes, family members with cameras, coaches, and adrenaline.  We went in four heats, I was in the second.  I was ready and rearing to go.  I wanted to beat my first practice score of 62 burpees and hopefully hit 70.  That means I was trying to pace myself for 10 burpees per minute.

Unfortunately I think that all that adrenaline messed me up.  I started our strong and fast....TOO strong and fast.  I fizzled out after about 90 seconds and entered the staggering phase pretty quickly.  And then I entered the close-to-vomiting stage.  And finally at the end of 7 minutes, I was able to do what I had wanted to do for the past 5 minutes and just collapse on the ground.

Final Count: 59

The best part, once again, was the incredible atmosphere of the box.  Each heat started out fairly quiet with just the music playing, the counts of the coaches, and the intermittent shouts of time.  But at the halfway mark, the box exploded with the shouts of everyone who wasn't doing burpees standing over those who were and yelling and clapping them through the second half of the work out.  And if the noise and energy was explosive at the halfway mark, it was nothing compared to the last 60 seconds of screaming encouragement to bring the athlete through to the end.  It was simply electric!!

Next week I'm going to have to not let the adrenaline buzz get the best of me.  I can't wait to see what next week brings!

Oh, and I skinned my knee doing the burpees.  Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment