Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wanted: shin guards

I was very excited today because I thought the WOD would be the official first work out of the CrossFit Open...but alas it isn't posted till 5 today so that won't happen till tomorrow.  More on the Open later...

We walked into the box today to see blood on the ground and a guy from the 5 am class with his leg bandaged up.  Lori drove him to the ER during our warm up.  It turns out that box jumps are one of the most common source of injuries in CrossFit because as you get tired, you get sloppy, and at some point your feet don't quite hit the box and your shin becomes the casualty.  I will say that we were all extremely conscious of our form today with that warning beacon fresh in our minds.  Apparently one girl will only do box jumps with her soccer shin guards on!

2/22/12 WOD #17:

  • Warm up: 800 m run
                    2x: 10 burpees
                         10 ball ups (hang from the rings, curve your body up like you are holding a ball on your stomach, and kick your feet through your arms.  I thought I was kicking ass at this but it turns out I was on rings that were too low so I wasn't doing the motion all the way.  Ah well.)
                         10 squat jumps
                         10 T2B
                         10 grasshoppers
                   HS walk (I managed some solid hand stands today.  Legs straight up and feet together for a beat or two, then back down in a controlled manner.  Improvement!)
  • WOD #17: AMRAP in 20 min: 10 box jumps (20")
                                                     20 sit ups
                                                    400 m run
                                                    Completed: three full rounds + 30 reps into round 4
I managed to complete all my box jumps solidly, and if I caught myself landing with my heel off the box I made sure to really hit the box with my full foot on the next round (don't want the slippery slope to grievous scarring on my shin).  My runs, however, were less than stellar.  I don't know if it was the effect of the box jumps or what, but I could only manage a fat-and-old "run."  I have decided to call it the Geri-Bari-Shuffle (short for geriatric and bariatric).  Pretty hot.

Milestone: Rx'd box jumps (this is my second WOD with box jumps, the first being 12 WODs ago.  At that point all I could manage was stepping up on the box rather than a jump.  This time not only did I jump up and down each time, but I was doing it at the prescribed height for women.)

No comments:

Post a Comment