Monday, February 20, 2012

A real scream

Sometimes when you are making a large effort, you make some kind of vaguely embarrassing noise as a part of that effort.  You hear it in tennis (and hear complaints too), and you will DEFINITELY hear it in a CrossFit box.  Especially when weight lifting is part of the WOD.  And today, I got to be that person who makes a noise somewhere between a grunt, a scream, and a roar.  Repeatedly.  Good thing we always play loud music- that way all our effort noises just become part of the ambient sound.

2/20/12 WOD #16:

  • Warm up: 500 m row
                    2x: 10 burpees
                          10 push ups
                          10 pass throughs
                          10 OHS
                          10 jumping lunges
                    30 ft HS walk (I just practiced my HS walk a couple of times)
  • WOD: 2*2*2*2*2 shoulder press (meaning you do two shoulder presses with increasing weights until you hit five tries or you hit failure, whichever comes first).  35*45*55 MAX (attempted 60 and failed)
               10 rounds for time: 5 push press (35#)
                                            10 walking lunges (35# bar across shoulders)
                                            Time: 16:48
I actually started at 45# but barely made it through my first set of lunges so I pulled my extra 5# weights off.  I would have been tempted to drop more weight, but I was at the lowest I could go and still drop the bar when I was done with a set (for those who don't know, we use giant rubber weights rather than the small metal ones so that we can safely drop our weights on the ground without breaking anything.  It also makes the weight look much more manly because even 10# weights are huge).  And in case you were wondering where the roaring took place, it was definitely during the walking lunges.  Usually on the second set of 5 steps when I went down and needed to add some primal rage in order to get back up.  I'm pretty sure it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment