Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mental Battle

Today's WOD almost didn't happen.  It has been snowing steadily here in the Palm Springs of Washington for the past two days and the roads are not awesome.  But I decided to tough out the roads and go to the 11 o'clock class.  I know if I start skipping classes, I won't stop.

Class was led by a different coach as Lori was MIA at an emergency dental appointment.  This coach is a vet assistant at a different clinic, so that was pretty neat!  Of course, as the work out progressed I hated her a little bit.  But only because she kept me going when I wanted to lay on the ground and sob!

1/19/12 WOD #8

  • Warm up: 500 m row
                    20 burpees
                    5 pull ups
                    DNF remaining warm up
  • WOD: 100 dumb bell thrusters (started with 8#, then 5#, and ultimately finished with just plain squats)
                5 burpees at the top of each minute
                Time: 23 minutes
For those of you keeping track, that means I did approximately 23 sets of burpees.  Although I know I skipped some sets.  This WOD became both a physical challenge and a mental challenge.  Because you may start out strong with the thrusters, but then you get into a rhythm and immediately have to stop and do some burpees.  And the burpees start taking longer.  And then all you have time to do between burpees is just 2 thrusters or squats.  And then you can't breath.  And then you realize that at the rate you are doing the burpees (which are taking longer and longer and becoming less "burpee" and more "collapsing on the ground, then slowly dragging yourself up to standing and doing a tiny hop") then all you will ever be doing is burpees for the rest of your life because you are going straight from one set of burpees into the next with no thrusters or squats in between.  And the coach was yelling "DOWN!  UP!  GIVE ME 2 SQUATS!  10 SECONDS REST AND THEN MORE BURPEES!  COME ON!"

Everyone finished and I was wheezing and dry-sobbing my way through more burpees when I realized that there was still one guy doing the work out too.  He told me afterwards that he quit mid-way through the work out and declared a DNF for the day.  But then he saw me "killing it" (I maintain it was more of "being killed by it") and decided if I could do it, so could he.  So he kept going too.

No comments:

Post a Comment