Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bit by the Box

I believe I have mentioned before that box jumps are notorious for causing injuries in CrossFit.  If you don't have a solid landing, you can slip off and really tear up your shins.  Well I did a bunch of 24" box jumps with no problems, and yet on this work out I managed to hurt myself on the box.  *headdesk*

4/18 WOD # 38

  • Warm up: 800 m run
                    2x: 10 walking lunges
                          10 sit ups
                          10 push ups
                          10 back extensions
  • WOD #38.1: Death by sprints
                         One minute intervals- 1st minute one 50 m sprint
                                                          2nd minute two 50 m sprints
                                                          3rd minute three 50 m sprints
                                                          ...and so on until you can't finish the allotted distance in the allotted time.
                         Result: completed round 3 and was steps away from finishing round 4 successfully.
  • WOD #38.2: 10 min AMRAP
                         10 HSPU
                         10 pistols (alternating)- I used bands as assistance
                         Total: 3 or 4 rounds (lost track) + 5 reps
So how did I hurt myself?  Well the scaled progression for HSPU is to either hook your feet up over a bar on a weight rack and get your torso as vertical as possible, or to get your knees up on a box and do the same.  I had done the bar before, but there were enough people at the bar level and few enough weight racks that I figured I would just do the box.  It happened as I was pulling myself down off of the box to head over for pistols (one-legged squats). I am not the most graceful person in the world, and having your knees up on a box and your hands down on the ground is not the most graceful position to be in, so I managed to smack my shin into the corner of the box.  I gave myself a mild scrape and then a surprisingly large goose egg.  Now, about a week later, I just have a colorful and large bruise spanning my lower shin and ankle with some nice gravity-dependent spread down to my foot.  

Smooth.  That's me.  At least I didn't need to go to the ER, like the last two box jump injuries!

No comments:

Post a Comment